Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing a product through one of these links generates a commission for us at no additional expense to you.
Over 455 million websites used WordPress as of 2022, and that number only continues to grow.
For businesses, WordPress is a great platform for developing highly-functional websites, whether that’s an eCommerce store, community board, or simple marketing website.
But to get the best out of your website, you may want to consider hiring a WordPress developer.
Depending on the type of site you need, searching further afield and hiring a remote WordPress developer could be a very smart option and save you money in the long run. So how about an expert based in Armenia?
According to recent news, Armenia’s fast growth in the tech industry is turning heads. With a well-educated population, particularly in the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields, there is an emergence of new developer talent.
Here’s everything you need to know about recruiting remote WordPress developers from Armenia.
- How to find appropriate WordPress developers
- Interviewing candidates remotely
- How to hire remote WordPress developers
- What are the benefits of hiring remote workers?
- Tips for working with remote developers
How to find appropriate WordPress developers
The hiring process is an important step in finding a developer to hire. Consider what you’re trying to achieve with your website, the skills you require, and the responsibilities your developer will need to cover once hired — this will help you narrow down your candidates.
Your job description should include the following details:
- Education — are you seeking a candidate with formal qualifications, or are you more interested in viewing a portfolio of WordPress-based work?
- Years of experience required — is this an entry-level role, or does the position demand a more experienced WordPress developer?
- Daily responsibilities — what are the responsibilities of a typical working day? Be clear about your expectations.
You’ll also want to sell yourself to the candidates in order to attract the best talent.
Interviewing candidates remotely
When you aren’t interviewing in person, it can be a little more challenging to build a rapport with interviewees, which is important when deciding who will be a good fit for your team. Nevertheless, you can schedule interviews via video call on Google Hangouts or Zoom and conduct a successful interview.
A good set of interview questions is the backbone of a successful interview. Top questions to ask a new WordPress developer includes:
- Could you talk me through your previous experience in WordPress development and the types of projects you have worked on?
- Do you have any formal qualifications in web development?
- How do you overcome difficult challenges during your development process?
- How do you best learn new technical skills?
You should also use this time to explain what you’re looking for and the needs of your business. This will help you better understand if you’re both on the same page and give them an opportunity to ask any questions that you may have about the role.
It’s also important to note that when hiring remotely, there may be differences in skill sets. Hiring someone from another country (Armenia in this case) puts you in a unique position of gaining a different kind of experience that can add huge value to your business — so be open-minded.
Top interview tips
Even as the interviewer, the interview process can be a little daunting, especially when you’re looking to fill a vacancy quickly. To get the best out of each interview, it’s important to prepare, create a structure, and be clear about what you’re looking for.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when preparing to interview new developers:
- Avoid picking the best from a bad bunch – If you don’t find the right person for the position during your first round of interviews, that’s okay. It’s better to take your time than to rush and hire someone who doesn’t really have the skills or experience that you need.
- Choose a quiet spot – There’s nothing worse than hosting an interview when you have loud noises and distractions all around you — not only is it off-putting for you, but your candidates won’t appreciate it either. Choose a quiet room instead.
- Hire a range of people – Even if you’re in a rush to hire someone, spend the time interviewing as many qualified candidates as possible. You don’t want to pass up a potential star employee because you’re unwilling to put in the effort to conduct a thorough search.
- Look through each CV properly before the interview – It’s not uncommon for employers to simply skim through each person’s CV without actually looking at their experience and skills. Taking 10 minutes to read over and annotate their CV means you can ask for clarification during the interview and expand on interesting areas.
Hiring remotely isn’t always straightforward, but sometimes the best talent is overseas, and with a few adjustments, there’s no reason why they can’t fit seamlessly into your business as a WordPress developer.
How to hire remote WordPress developers
Hiring remotely has quickly become a very viable option for businesses following the demand for flexible working. If you’re looking for a short-term solution, it may be worth searching for a freelance developer who can work on a specific project for as long as you need them. This option may be suitable for development work that requires niche skills. Freelance sites such as Fiverr, Arka, or Upwork, can be cost-effective options but be sure to do your research thoroughly as the quality of work can vary.
Alternatively, if you’re looking for a full-time long-term employee, then you’ll be pleased to know that the process is becoming easier than ever. Using employer of record services is a convenient way of hiring international employees, so you can focus on getting them settled in while the experts take care of taxes, local compliance, payroll, and more.
Before they start:
- Make sure they have the equipment they need to get started, such as a laptop, desk, and office chair.
- Create all necessary logins and accounts, so they aren’t left twiddling their thumbs waiting for you to set things up on their first day.
- Be clear about their working hours as there may be a major time difference between you and them. That way, you can plan training sessions at times that suit you both.
What are the benefits of hiring remote workers?
There are a few major benefits to hiring developers remotely.
WordPress development can be complicated, and in a busy office environment, it’s easy for employees to get distracted. On the other hand, hiring remotely means employees can have their own private space to work without distractions, and this will have a positive impact on productivity. A project that may have otherwise taken a few months can be done much quicker and with more attention to detail.
Better talent scope
Widening your talent search means you’re more likely to find more suitable candidates for the role. Every business wants the most skilled and talented people working for them, and by broadening your search and being open to remote workers, you can reap the benefits too. Armenia’s fast-growing presence in tech means you could be one of the first to benefit from its innovative pool of talent.
Another great thing about hiring remotely, especially hiring employees in Armenia and beyond, is that you can have someone working on your site when you aren’t. That means projects can be finished quicker.
Employees have a better work-life balance
Employee burnout is real, and when it isn’t managed properly, this can have a knock-on effect on the quality of work they produce and how happy they are at work. WordPress developers often take on pretty complex tasks but working from home can create a better work-life balance and improve wellbeing.
Tips for working with remote developers
Every new addition to your team will bring their own set of challenges along with them, so even if you hire a supremely talented WordPress developer possessing years of experience on a range of complex projects, a smooth ride is never guaranteed. To make your onboarding process as simple and hassle-free as possible, be sure to:
- Make sure communication is clear from the start — you’ll want to outline your communication expectations from the get-go, including when you expect responses, how often you’ll communicate, and what the communication channels are. For any specific communication tools such as Slack, make sure your new hires are fully trained on their use.
- Always verify the skill set of your remote developers — you can use online tools like Upwork’s skill verification tool to help ensure you hire the right candidates.
- Create a clear project plan — you’re likely hiring remote WordPress developers to work on specific projects. Make sure you create a project plan that outlines the work and due dates. This will help keep everyone on track.
- Be mindful of Armenian time zones — make sure you account for time zones when working with remote developers from Armenia, and be aware that you may have to navigate asynchronous working due to time differences.
If you’re looking to hire remote WordPress developers, keep in mind that it can be difficult, but the potential rewards are well worth the effort. Make sure you’re extra cautious when it comes to vetting candidates and hiring the right people. Keep these pointers in mind, and you’ll find the ideal developer for your next project in no time.