Trying to become a WordPress expert? It’s a long journey.
The good news is that the WP community, being centered around a CMS, is inherently into publishing. There’s a ton of great content about WordPress and how to use it. However, these aren’t just great articles. The WordPress tutorials below are incredible.
31+ Advanced WordPress Tutorials
Each tutorial below:
- goes into deep detail
- shares insight gained through experience
- and serves as a hub for further learning materials
No, you won’t be an expert just by reading them, but you’ll know what’s possible. The advanced guides are categorized by subject matter, and I’d bookmark each or save them to a list of reading materials.
Learn how to create your first WordPress theme from scratch in my upcoming course: View the course.
WordPress Security Tutorials
This first guide is a visual overview of WordPress security:
These next two are comprehensive guides on securing WordPress:
This article explains specifically how to remove malware from an infected site:
At over 7,000 words, this guide by Kinsta covers WP security very thoroughly:
Theme Development Tutorials
These first six tutorials all cover the creation of a WordPress from start to finish. Getting a few different perspectives and approaches should help you develop your own approach when developing WordPress themes.
- Incorporating the Settings API in WordPress Themes
- The ThemeShaper WordPress Theme Tutorial: 2nd Edition
- How To Create Your Own Custom WordPress Theme
- Designing for WordPress: Complete Series & Downloads (video series)
- Developing Your First WordPress Theme: Day 1 of 3
- Adaptive Blog Theme: From Photoshop to WordPress
The next four guides cover a variety of development topics related to building themes:
- Guide To WordPress Coding Standards
- The Complete Guide To Custom Post Types
- Using XAMPP for Local WordPress Theme Development
- A Guide To The Options For WordPress Theme Development
This last one is a tutorial for designers. It’s concise and useful overview of creating color harmony in your themes:
Plugin Development Tutorials
The first two of these tutorials for developers cover the basics of writing a WordPress plugin and what it entails:
The next four are detailed instructions on how to create a plugin from scratch:
- WordPress Plugin Development from Scratch, Part 1/4: Basic Structure
- Create a Custom WordPress Plugin From Scratch
- How to Begin Writing Your First WordPress plugin (video series)
- How To Create A Widget Plugin For WordPress
WordPress SEO Tutorials
I cut a few guides from the list because these are the only two you need. They’re both very good and comprehensive, but if you want to hear explanations from two different sources, these are both good reads:
These first two tutorials cover a variety of steps that are easy to implement and will speed up your WordPress site:
The last guide is more comprehensive and is well cited for further exploration:
The first two multisite tutorials cover the basics of getting setup and started with multisite:
The next two help guides cover domain mapping with multisite and instructions for setting it up:
- WordPress Multisite Beyond Basics: Essentials and Domain Mapping
- WordPress 3.0: Multisite Domain Mapping Tutorial
Finally, this last post explains how to make your plugins compatible with WP multisite:
The Best WordPress Guides
Each of the above advanced tutorials are incredibly informative and worth reading top-to-bottom. It’ll take a while to get through all of them, so don’t forget to bookmark this page for later use.